COACH SACKED FOR LEADING TEAM TO BEAT OPPONENT 25-0
The coach of a Spanish youth team has been sacked after a 25-0 win, after the club’s management decided the margin of victory went against the spirit of the game.
After defeating fellow Valencia side Benicalap C on June 3, Serranos B’s under-11 manager was removed from his position.
“We believe in encouraging respect for your opponents. After the result, we decided that the manager should leave,” Pablo Alcaide, who helps run the side, said.
The manager’s lawyer has however insisted his client had not pushed his players to score as many as they could in the eight-a-side game.
“The manager instead instructed his side to pressure only in their own half, but Benicalap C continued to attack and left spaces behind,’’ the lawyer said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the game was Benicalap C’s final match of the season.
They finished bottom of the league with zero points and 247 goals conceded from their 30 matches.
Such one-sided scores are not infrequent in Spanish youth football, but many clubs stop counting once they have scored more than 10 goals.
The English Football Association’s latest guidance to youth coaches, published in 2012, is designed to “challenge the win-at-all-costs mentality.
This is seen to be stifling development and enjoyment for young people.
Latest from Nigerian Newstrack
- PDP SUPREME COURT VERDICT, PROOF OF HOPE IN NIGERIA'S JUDICIAL SYSTEM - BABAWANDE
- JOURNALIST, WIFE, SON KILLED IN GAS EXPLOSION
- DARK HAIR DYE AND CHEMICAL RELAXERS LINKED TO BREAST CANCER
- WOMAN KILLS HUSBAND OF SEVENTEEN YEARS
- ARMED ROBBERS ATTACK YORUBA MOVIE ACTORS, ODUNLADE ADEKOLA, MR LATIN
- YORUBA, IGBO, N'DELTA, MIDDLE BELT LEADERS UNITE AGAINST FULANI HERDSMEN
- U.S TO CRACKDOWN ON NIGERIANS, BRAZILIANS, OTHERS WITH OVERSTAYED VISAS
- APC SUSPENDS BUHARI'S AIDE, 19 OTHER TOP MEMBERS
- WE'LL SHOCK SOUTHWEST SOON, AREWA YOUTHS WHO ISSUED IGBO QUIT NOTICE THREATEN
- ANOTHER NATIONAL ASSEMBLY MEMBER DIES
- POLICE RAID EX-AGF ADOKE'S COUNTRY HOME IN KOGI
- FATHER STRUCK BY LIGHTNING AT DAUGHTER'S WEDDING
- 5 REASONS I'LL IGNORE HEALTH MINISTER'S SUSPENSION ORDER - NHIS EXECUTIVE SECRETARY
- HEALTH MINISTRY REPLIES NHIS CHIEF, SAYS SUSPENSION ORDER STANDS
- POLICE ARRESTS JAILBIRD, 3 OTHERS WITH HUMAN PARTS IN OGUN
- FATHER PUTS SON ON SALE TO RAISE MONEY FOR MOTHER'S BURIAL
- JONATHAN SPEAKS ON PDP'S SUPREME COURT VERDICT
- US CUSTOMS AGENTS FIND COBRAS INSIDE MAIL AT JFK AIRPORT
- BUHARI, OSINBAJO TALKS: CABINET SHAKE-UP LIKELY SOON
- MAKARFI TAKES OVER PDP HQ AFTER SUPREME COURT VICTORY